Bed bug infestations have been rising dramatically over the past decade, with bites on humans becoming a major problem in Utah. Bed bug bites can lead to physical injuries, psychological problems, medical bills, lost wages, extermination bills, and loss of personal property.
If you have been bitten by bed bugs in an apartment, hotel, or motel in Utah, you may be wondering if you can sue for your injuries.
Determining Responsibility for Bed Bug Attacks in Utah Apartments
Under Utah law, residential property owners owe their tenants a duty to provide an environment that is suitable for human habitation. Although state law does not specifically address bed bugs, some county ordinances do specifically impose a duty on the landlord to keep the environment free from vermin.
If your landlord has breached the duty to keep the environment free from bed bugs, you may be entitled to recover all damages that you have suffered as a result of the infestation and attack. Your recovery may include:
- All health care and emergency room costs due to severe bites
- Recovery for property damage including beds, furniture, and clothing
- Loss of income, wages, or salary
- Extermination bills
- Pain and suffering
It is important to note that Utah law does not hold a landlord liable if the tenant caused the conditions in the apartment. This means that you must be able to show that you did not introduce the bed bugs into the apartment. An experienced personal injury lawyer with an eye for detail can help you establish who is responsible for the infestation in your Utah apartment.
Determining Responsibility for Bed Bug Attacks in Utah Hotels and Motels
If you have been bitten by bed bugs in a hotel or motel in Utah, you will want to take the following steps as soon as possible:
- Take pictures of bed bugs in the bedding, furniture, carpeting and walls in your hotel or motel. Ask management to come to your room and file a report about the issue.
- Ask management for all cleaning and inspection records for your room.
- Take pictures of your bites and seek medical attention. The bites can result in scarring and secondary infection. Seeking prompt medical attention will reduce your chances of suffering from these serious complications.
- Contact the local health department, ask them to visit the hotel or motel with the infestation, and request a copy of the report.
- Speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer.
Like residents of apartments, victims of bed bug attacks in Utah hotels or motels may be entitled to recovery for health care and emergency room costs, recovery for property damage, lost income, and pain and suffering.
Should You Hire an Attorney for your Bed Bug Attack in a Utah Hotel or Apartment?
If you have been the victim of a bed bug attack due to an infestation in an apartment, hotel, or motel in Utah, you should consult with an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
At Hepworth, Murray & Associates, our experienced personal injury attorneys will investigate the circumstances of the bed bug infestation and determine if the landlord, hotel, or motel are responsible for your bed bug attack. If you or a loved one has been involved in a bed bug attack, please call Hepworth, Murray & Associates at 801-872-2222, to schedule a free consultation with an experienced personal injury attorney regarding your case.
This article was written by Attorney Jennifer K. Zeleny at Hepworth & Associates and Associates. Ms. Zeleny is a Utah Personal Injury Attorney.