What Should I Do if I am Hit by an Uninsured Driver in Utah?

If you have been involved in a car accident with a driver in Utah who doesn’t have car insurance, you may be wondering if you have any rights.  Utah law requires drivers to carry car insurance and can impose stiff fines and jail time for driving without insurance.  Nevertheless, according to the Insurance Research Council, approximately 12.6% of drivers nationwide drive without insurance.

What do you do if you are unlucky enough to be hit by a driver with no insurance in Utah?

Call the Police

Whether or not the other driver is being cooperative, you should call the police.  The police will document the incident, and ensure that you get the most accurate information about the other driver as possible.  This will help your car accident claim later on.

Additionally, if the other driver is driving without insurance, he or she is breaking the law and needs to be held accountable.

Document as Much as You Can

Even if the other driver doesn’t have insurance, you should get as much information as you can.  If you have a cell phone, you should take pictures of all cars involved, license plates, and, if you can, all people involved in the accident.  Also, try to get the names and contact information of everyone involved in the accident and any independent witnesses.

Call Your Insurance Company

Call your insurance company as soon as possible.  Utah law provides that you have Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist Coverage for injuries unless you have specifically waived it in writing.  If you have waived Uninsured Motorist Coverage in the past, you should get it.

Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist Coverage compensates you for physical injury and, depending on your coverage, property damage when the person who caused the car accident doesn’t have insurance at all or doesn’t have enough insurance to compensate you for your injuries.

Should You Hire an Attorney for Your Car Accident with an Uninsured Driver in Utah?

If you have been involved in a car accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver in Utah, you should consult with an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible.  You very likely have insurance coverage that will pay for your injuries to be treated and possibly pay for the damage to your car.

At Hepworth, Murray & Associates, our experienced personal injury attorneys will investigate the circumstances of your accident and determine who should pay for your injuries and property damage.  If you or a loved one has been involved in a car accident with an uninsured driver, please call Hepworth, Murray & Associates at 801-872-2222, to schedule a consultation with an experienced personal injury attorney regarding your case.